Saturday, December 24, 2005

irony of nations

We were walking in downtown madrid last night and we were near one my favorite parts of the city, plaza de cibeles. It is here where you can see the rather large Post Office which looks more like a Palace. Atleast I know where the money for postage goes. The Banco de Espana which I am told is sort of like the USA's Fort Knox. The Casa de America and then a ministry building. It was at the ministry building which is a governmental building of Spain where I noted this irony.

Here I am in Spain and in a country where less than 2 percent of the people would say they have a personal relationship with Christ. A place where we feel called to share our lives and witness to our friends. It was at this governmental place where I saw a large navity scene. Complete with Mary, Joseph, Jesus and all the animals and shepherds, angels and kings.

I heard music being piped out (in english) about the birth of our Saviour. It was at this place where it dawned on me that I am in a country to share the good news and in this country I can actually hear the good news at a federal building.

I work for a Christian Organization that is located in a country where you could not see the navity scene on federal property and you could not hear the story of the good news of the birth of Christ in song from federal property.

It seems rather ironic to me that this happens this way. What does this say about Spain? What does this say about the USA? How far have we strayed as a country where we cannot celebrate the meaning of Christmas on public property? We are led by a man who is Christian. We have many politicans now that are consertavie and have strong Christian values. We have many evangelical churches. Yet, on public property you cannot have the Good News of Christmas demonstrated.

Iam amazed at the irony. It is no wonder that many countries send people to the states to evangelize. It is needed. Perhaps we have lost our way.

No comments: