Sunday, November 26, 2006

New York, New York

New York, New York. It is indeed my kind of town.

I was able to visit NYC for the first time this past week. I was not there for Thanksgiving so I missed the big parade. I have been through the airports but that doesn’t count. I was able to experience the Pastrami Sandwich at Carnegies Deli, New York Pizza, an off Broadway production, Central Park, the Empire State Building, Ground Zero, the Statue of Liberty, Starbucks coffee (of course), Macys, Tiffany’s, Sax, The Subway system, hailing taxis, Times Square, the United Nations Building and I am sure the list could go on and I am sure I missed lots but I had a great time.

I also got to see and hear some things that sounded like home. I turned the corner into Times Square and saw “H and M” which is a clothing store from Spain. I was walking down 5th Avenue and went into “Zara” another store from Galicia, Spain. It made me feel like home. I heard many people speaking Castellano and I was able to have a cafĂ© con leche at a bar in a Spanish Restaurant. I was able to read “El Pais” a newspaper from Spain and I talked with people from Spain. One person told me that 36% of the people in NYC speak Spanish. I believe them now.

One of the aspects of my ministry overseas is that I work with a lot of volunteers who come to our city. We talk to them a lot about not getting distracted by the “bright lights big city syndrome”. I thought I knew better. I needed to take heed to my own advice. It was a good reminder for me. It is so easy to get off of task in a big city. There are so many noises, sights, smells. There are new adventures all along the way. There are the things you only have heard about and never have seen for the first time.

My admission here is that normally when I go to a new city or I return to an familiar one I make it a habit of praying for the city and its people. I love to prayer walk to converse with God about the people there. I pray that God will bless that area and that he will make me a blessing to the people I come in contact with. I noticed quite often that I would get off task here for some reason and I think it is for the same reasons that I listed above and for the reasons sometimes groups get distracted when they visit our city. I guess I will have to lighten up on them the next time around.

I love to get to know a city and get a feel for its people. I like to get a sense of the needs of the city both physically and spiritually. I like to pray for the people who are the salt and light who live in that city. But I also know that you can get distracted. I find that it helps to go visit the older churches in the city to get a feel for the state of the church not to mention it is usually a great place to stop and be still and to pray. I find that when I carry my journal around with me and stop for my coffee (which is several times a day) that I write out my thoughts and I become more conscious of the atmosphere around me. I find that staying on my schedule with quiet time with the Lord is very helpful.

Regardless of being on vacation or on my job I want to pray for that city and the people. I am often reminded of the verse where Jesus looks out over the city and he had compassion on them. I don’t think the buildings moved him to compassion but the people who moved around and within the city.

No comments: