Saturday, March 05, 2005

experience life

Lately I have been taking a different approach to my devotional life. I have been reading an entire book of the Bible for the entire month. I simply read it over and over and over and over and over, you get the picture.

I will read it in NIV version, Espanol and in the Message. For some reason in this season I have been enjoying reading out of The Message. Today I read First John. It is also pretty cool with some of the New Testament books in that you can read the entire book in one setting. I can do this and I have a hard time focusing on anything for any amount of time.

From the book of First John and the first chapter.


3We saw it, we heard it, and now we're telling you so you can experience it along with us, this experience of communion with the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. 4Our motive for writing is simply this: We want you to enjoy this, too. Your joy will double our joy!

It would have been pretty awesome to have been around in those days. These guys experienced Jesus in real time. They were with him. They heard him teach. They are with him and drink with him. They went to parties with Him. They hung out with him at the Lake. They talked deeply and they probably talked about sports and weather some as well.

They also saw him crucified. They experienced those hours on the cross in that way. They also experienced the resurrection. They talked with him after that. They experienced the Day of Pentecost where the Holy Spirit came upon them. They saw the early church when it was very early. They were able to experience "Communion" with Jesus.

As a result the writer tells us that they can remember this. But the writer also speaks to us today. Jesus lives in my heart today. Sure, I did not get to eat with him and go to parties or sit by the lake with him but I can experience life with him. He becomes real to me. He is personal.
I want to tell others about this experience but I also want others to experience this new life as well.

No comments: