Friday, March 11, 2005

In remembrance of March 11th, Madrid

Friday, March 11th, 2005

Today marks one year since the Madrid train station bombings. As I watched the news this morning on the television they have planned several events here today honoring those victims.
There will be 5 minutes of silence at 12 noon. It is hard to believe that a year has passed. So many things have changed so many things are the same.

It a large urban area such as Madrid life goes on at a rapid pace but those touched personally will never be the same. They have lived a year of pain and hurt and for many despair.

I am reading a book by Henri Nouwen entitle the Prodigal Son. It is about the parable that Jesus tells us in scripture about the father with two sons and the yougner one wanted his inheritance NOW. He received it and took off for another country and then squandered it on wild living. He bascially tried to survive for a time living off of waste. He finally wants to come home and face his past. As he journeys home his father greets him. He welcomes him in open arms. He embraces him and his son falls to his knees. This is the portrait that Rembrant captured and that Nouwen writes about. The image of a son returning to the Father.

This morning in my time with my heavenly Father I was drawn to the passages below. I was drawn to what Jesus said of those who are tired, heavy laden, worn out, burned out, burnt,
He says to me. Learn from me. Let me carry you. I still remember this verse and a song that was written about this years ago by Scott Wesley Brown entitled "He will Carry You". If you know this song it will put you back in the Big 80s but it is a "grace" song. It is about accepting the love Jesus offers you.

Here are the verses I read this morning from three different translations. It is my pray that the people of Madrid will seek the love and grace of Jesus. That they will come to Him and let Him minister to them. For what I have learned on my journey is that when I feel tired, lonely, hurt, etc... I often examine my life and relaize I have not been in my Father's arms



Matthew 11:28-30 (New Living Translation)
New Living Translation (NLT)
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.
28Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."


Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson
28"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. 29Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 30Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


Mateo 11:28-30
28Ustedes viven siempre angustiados; siempre preocupados. Vengan a mí, y yo los haré descansar.
29 Obedezcan mis mandamientos y aprendan de mí, pues yo soy paciente y humilde de verdad. Conmigo podrán descansar.
30 Lo que yo les impongo no es difícil de cumplir; la carga que les hago llevar no es pesada".

No comments: