Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mission Strategies

On my last post I wrote about three streams that in my opionion summarize to a great extent the culture here in Europe. I want to talk about this some more today. I believe that those same streams exist in North America today. How will the church in North American navigate through such water?

I like jumping onto websites of churches and reading how they approach missions. It seems that many churches take the Acts 1:8 passage and segment their missions into - Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the uttermosts parts of the earth. They will then find mission leaders to lead out in each of those areas and develop mission strategies for such. I am not casting judgement on this for it is one way to approach the strategy. My fear is that it casts missions into mini-compartments and does not approach the Great Commission as a whole. Whether you read demograhic studies, internet or the Sunday paper you can see that the world is in the USA. I sometimes hear of churches who get fired up about taking a mission trip to one of those uttermost places ministering to people of another faith. This is not a bad thing. What I am curious about do they have the same excitement with people of a different faith who live next door to them or in another part of the city? How are they being salt and light to people who are different from them in their own location?

2 comments:

People Group Champions Facilitator said...

Larry,
Thank you for your words of wisdom and great missional thinking! I agree that churches do need an opportunity to get excited about going on mission trips in their own communities. I may have a solution for them called the People Group Champions Project (PGCP). I know of one church plant here in Texas that is actively engaging a mosque after joining the PGCP. You can read about their experience in the February 10, 2008 issue of "The Watering Can" here: http://www.sbtexas.com/missions/TheWateringCanhome.htm. It is my prayer that other church plants join in this missions movement currently taking place here in Texas.

Blessings,
Chad

Larry McCrary said...

Chad,

Thanks for your comment. I really like what you all are doing there.
This is a great example of how a church is becoming more missional to the community around them. awesome