Sunday, February 24, 2008

the salt and light - living intentionally

I am writing today on the way to the states. I am heading there to attend a series of meetings. Several places I will be speaking and giving some talks on some missional intatiatves that I am involved with. Speaking of, I really want to take seriously in my life to be the salt and light that Jesus speaks of in Matthew 5. An important aspect of this teaching of “salt and the light” is that you are amongst the people. You are not self contained but you are out living with the people.

Yesterday I watched my wife interact with our German neighbor. She is professional that works in several different cities. She travels a lot. My wife is just trying to get to know her as good neighbors do. My wife and her talked about her work schedule and my wife volunteers to help her take her trash to the street. In Germany there is a right day, time and position for the garbage container to be set out. To do this out of order is not a good thing. I guess the point of this story is that my wife is a great example of someone who lives her life missionally. She feels one of the best ways she can tell others of Jesus is through her actions and serving them in whatever way possible. She is salt and light anywhere we live.

I think what keeps me from being this way?
If I wrote it all down you would think pretty lowly of me. I will give you some hints.
Being too busy.
Being too selfish.
Thinking that I am the most important.
Unfortunately I could go on.

But I will stop. I pray that my life will not become too busy where I am much more like the religious leaders who passed by on the other side of the road. I pray that I will have my life oriented in such a way that I can be more like the Samaritan who took the time to stop, help and take care of a person in need. I think when this happens we can be the salt and light that Jesus intended.

No comments: